Saturday, January 16, 2010

In the beginning

My name is Laura Moscone, born in Toronto Canada, of parents of Italian background. My father was born in Italy and my mother and Italo/Canadian was born in Toronto as well. I am the third sibling of 4. Our household was a very busy one. My mother Argentina, helped my father, Benedetto with the family business, a tile/contracting business started in 1952. Since the business was run out of the house; it was expected that dinner be on the table at 6:00 pm every night. I was always around my mother while she frantically cooked dinner to make sure the "start time" wasn't missed. I was interested in how things were done. I loved the aroma of her fresh sauce that simmered on the stove. I always asked questions and Mom would always show me how she made her meals. But I always knew I had a knack for cooking because, once I tasted something I would look at it analyze it and wonder how it was made and with a pretty good success rate I could re-create that dish (with a few changes of course). I didn't just want to cook I wanted to "create" something that another person would really enjoy. So I would experiment and usually, with very basic dishes I would come up with a dish that everyone would like. I would really only make a main course. My menu was very basic and simple. As time went on and I got married and had children my dishes were always geared towards the loving people around me. I always wanted to create something new and exciting which made me want to learn and create more. I really felt I was an artist and my kitchen was my canvas!

2 comments:

  1. Laura, this is so nice! Beautifully said. I'm so happy you're blogging :)

    ReplyDelete